Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Wanderer

Our lives can be shaped not only by the people we’ve known and wanted to be like, but by the characters we’ve longed to know or be who never were. I’ve been shaped by mentors, friends, and family members, of course, but also by someone I’ve only half-glimpsed in stories, only imagined, and insufficiently imagined at that.

He was the best person I knew who never actually existed—the avatar I couldn’t become, my alter ego, my patron saint or, if you like, my spirit guide. They’re all metaphors; pick one. I think you’ll also have someone like him—not him, of course, not likely, but like him—if you don’t already. I’ve seen your imagination up close. You’re a bright child. You have a strong, wandering mind. 

He wasn’t my imaginary friend. That’s a particular talent I never had. Some children can manage the whole creation. They can generate a friend entirely to their satisfaction. A few of them go on to create enormous narratives, even epics around those friends. The Bronte sisters, so I’ve read, co-created their own imaginary civilization, and I’ve encountered cases of similar, endless works in progress by both children and adults. Some of them are locked, inscrutable kingdoms, accessible only to their authors. I suspect the Voynich Manuscript of being one. There’s even a lively debate among researchers about how healthy these imaginary worlds are, when and if they ever go too far.

My imagination could never go far enough. It knew where it longed to go, the kind of character it wanted to be in its undiscovered world, but it couldn’t get close without props, the wonder tales and fantasies already written out by others. And although those could be entrancing, could absorb the weeks and hours, they were never quite sufficient. My imagination wanted to go, really go, to get lost on its own, to wander indefinitely, but like the little kid trying to run away from home only to hide out for a few hours and then sheepishly come back for dinner, my imagination never escaped as far as it imagined it would.

The figure I wanted to be was the Wanderer, which was either ironic or obvious, or both, given I could hardly walk. From an early age, I had an exact notion of his core mythology, what I wanted him to do, what I wanted myself, as him, to do. He was to set out as a solitary figure, stoic and resourceful, exploring or exiled in a dark, mysterious world. His world was a dream world, as I thought of it, taken seriously. 

Literal dreams, that is, have a number of features that have fascinated me since I was quite young. They can be brightly lit up close or momentarily display brilliantly illuminated landscapes, but there’s almost always a surrounding dark. I expect that’s because the sleeping brain is generating the world of the dream and to fill out all the edges with brightly lit detail is too much work. So dreams tend to shadows, for a start. Also, and perhaps for the same reason, in a dream it’s impossible to read much text. There are books and signs, but they’re generally illegible or meaningless except for a few phrases occasionally, gnomic utterances. There’s not as much talking in dreams as in waking life. And dreams are notoriously unpredictable in progress, with characters blurring into each other, laws of society and physics flaunted,  and wholly unexpected events. This last aspect is the one most overemphasized in popular depictions of dreams as wildly hallucinatory and fantastically rococo parades, when actual dreams, as far as I remember them, are more often moody, dim, and simply strange. The moodiness mostly stems from another feature of dreaming, the staggeringly strong emotions in them, both delightful and frightful, often attached to happenings that, when described upon waking, seem trivial. How many times have you had a profound nightmare that seemed a bit silly when you told it to someone, or a dreamed a profound insight that you woke to realize was banal? All these things intrigued me. I wanted to be able to explore, awake, the world of dreams.

Besides the obvious problem, given that one’s brain doesn’t perform dreams well when it’s awake, this longing of mine ran up against the dilemma that one aspect of dream wandering I desperately wanted for my fantasy Wanderer and/as myself was exactly the element of surprise. And when one invents one’s own surprises, well . . . It felt a bit like opening all the windows of a haunted house amusement ride one morning to let in the sunlight while touching up the paint on the motorized skeletons. Eerie, maybe, even in the light, a little weird, but work to do and hardly fantastic anymore.

So I looked for the experience of the Wanderer prefabricated for me in books. There are countless wanderers in stories, and they come in many, often overlapping forms—the pilgrim, the simpleton, the exile, the marked man, the chosen one, the monk, the naturalist, the tracker, the ghost, the flâneur. There are wanderers, imaginary and historical, so famous and distinctive that they can only even be described by their proper names: Odysseus, Marco Polo, Ibn Battuta, Childe Harold, Xuanzang. 

But although I enjoyed my vicarious adventures with all of these and fiercely admired a few of them, especially the more heroic, solitary, fictional ones, it was always the label “Wanderer” itself that most powerfully appealed to me and most thoroughly disappointed me. I was thrilled one day in high school to find a volume on the library shelves with a brooding cover illustration of an empty path into a dark forest, titled The Wanderer, by Alain-Fournier. That evening, I was so eager to read it that I passed on the excitement of watching a World Series game with the rest of my dorm and slipped down to the quiet basement instead to be alone with my mysterious adventure. It was a good tale, as I remember, complete with teenagers, romance, magic, and an ancient estate. But the story wasn’t really about The Wanderer, or even much wandering per se, and when I saw that the original French title had been Le Grand Meaulnes, I felt swindled. For that I had missed a great baseball game. 

I was more thrilled still, as a freshman in college, fortunate to find myself in Professor Margaret Doody’s survey of early and Medieval English literature, when I spotted a thousand-year old Anglo Saxon poem titled “The Wanderer” on our syllabus. Doody was the sort of professor who started the semester by launching straight into a booming recitation of the opening lines of The Canterbury Tales, in Middle English, without introductions for either herself or us. That night in my room, I skipped over the more familiar assignment in Beowulf, as fascinating to me as it was, to go first to “The Wanderer” poem.

This was more what I had dreamed of dreaming myself, at least initially: the exile with trouble in mind, no one to confide in, wandering among the ruins of a lost world. But the poem was a lyrical lament, curiously static despite the scope of it, and moved swiftly to a coda of consolation in faith, without any narrated events. Then I spotted in the copious footnotes that the original manuscript had no title. “The Wanderer” was just a title awarded it by an early nineteenth-century translator, and no less a myth-making scholar than J.R.R. Tolkien himself, revered among my peers, had complained a century later, campaigning to get the title changed to “The Exile’s Lament,” which surely fit better, but without success. Great poem, to be sure, but so much for that.

I'm much older and more jaded now. I know that many of the paths in these woods lead nowhere and that there are false signposts everywhere. There are “Wanderer” titles and characters scattered all over pop culture, just for starters. Comic book heroes, doo wop songs, gunslingers, “Young Adult” fictions. None that I’ve yet run into comes very close to the character I’ve sought out all my life. You may discover one day that this holds true for your own dream avatar, whoever that might turn out to be. 
 
For now, my Wanderer stands, a silhouette and a shadow, on a path through the great and growing forest, washed in moonlight, waiting for me to join him. A moth flutters by his ear. He turns and starts walking. I try to imagine what will happen to him, but he walks too quickly for me, and in a moment he disappears.

No comments:

Hope Chest

Sometimes I wonder how long it will be until you can read these letters easily. And then I wonder when, or if, you will f...