Friday, March 9, 2018

Prejudiced

In my family, in my neighborhood, when I was a kid, no one ever used the word “race,” not that I recall. We had more than a dozen racial and ethnic categories that we deployed freely, often vividly, but we viewed most of those terms as fixed, as givens. The only potent, contested word regarding such things was “prejudiced.” Are you prejudiced? Who’s prejudiced? I’m not prejudiced! 

Of course, we were all prejudiced. But on the spectrum of prejudices in our mostly white neighborhood, my parents, your grandparents, likely held the least flagrant position, and I grew up believing that we were the one family in town truly beyond the risk of prejudice, at least of any racial kind. (Given my local, Catholic friends, I could see pretty easily that my mother was quietly but stubbornly sectarian: she once suggested orange as a good color for us kids to wear on St. Patrick’s Day, and she expressed skepticism that the Pope was a Christian. “He might be, if he’s truly asked Jesus into his heart as His Lord and Savior,” she observed one evening at dinner, “But I doubt it.”)

In the era of white flight, assassinations, riots, and the ongoing fight for Civil Rights, my parents made a point of preaching racial tolerance and equality to their children. One of the earliest children’s hymns I learned was “Jesus Loves the Little Children,” and I learned it in the Hausa language, which my mother had learned in Nigeria. From it and other cues, I got the gist that skin tone was irrelevant to Jesus, and so should be irrelevant to us. Once, when we had stopped somewhere in rural Georgia on a family trip to Florida, my mother made sure that I took note of a segregated water fountain that she’d found, and then that I understood why such an item was hateful and wrong. The summer that I turned five, 1967, the summer of the nearby Newark riots, my parents had two children come to stay with us from Harlem, on the Fresh Air Fund, for two weeks each, first a boy named Ronnie and then a girl named Cheryl. My mother felt it would be helpful both to them and to me and my little sister Alleene, given how white our neighborhood was then. Before that time, I was so unused to encountering dark skin that, when we visited Manhattan, which was scarcely twenty miles distant, I asked my mother if this was “the country of the brown-skinned people.” 

The next year, 1968, a few months after Dr. King’s assassination, my parents took me out of the local public school, which was nearly all white, and enrolled me and my sister Alleene in a Baptist elementary that was thoroughly integrated. The switch had more to do with the fact that the public school felt uncomfortable about my disability and was unwilling to let me attend regular classes when I was in a wheelchair, whereas the church school didn’t care. But in practice it meant that, even before the adoptions of my Korean, African-American, and mixed-race siblings, I was habituated to interacting with Latin, Black, and Asian children as playmates and classmates, from the age of six. At eight, I was given a tri-color Afro pick with a folding handle by my best friend David Mordecai. I took it home and proudly folded and and unfolded it for my father, intoning solemnly, as David had taught me, “Black is for the people. (Point to the black plastic comb.) Red is for the blood they shed. (Fold over the red half of the handle.) Green is for the land. (Fold over the green half of the handle.)” The land was Africa. My mother agreed it was green and that an awful lot of blood had been shed.

There were inconsistencies of course, some that I'm sure I missed but some that I noticed. My father still held, at least jokingly, a variety of ethnic stereotypes that he didn’t think were really prejudices. Poles could be dumb, Scots were often skinflints, Irish liked to drink and join the police. "But I'm not prejudiced," he'd say. His official policy was that Black people as individuals were just as capable of accomplishing anything as White people were, but that as a group they had a harder time of it because Africa had fallen behind the rest of the world and was backwards, which made no causal sense at all in 1960s New Jersey but satisfied him. 

My mother was a bit weirder. Her faith mandated that all humans were identically wicked at birth and identically capable of salvation and rebirth. She was also proud of being a New Englander, descended from centuries of New Englanders, on the right and godly side of the slavery issue and of the U.S. Civil War. “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” was a staple hymn of our church and household, and my mother always sang it as if it were still a marching chant, hitting the stressed syllables like hammer blows. “EYES! SEEN! GLOR! COME! LORD! TRAMP! VINT! GRAPES! WRATH! STORED!”
Yet, she likewise held the rural New Englander’s pride in the great virtue of her own skepticism and common sense, which led her into odd reasonings about race. She couldn’t see the validity of calling one group of people “colored,” for instance (“We’re all colored some kind of color!”), nor of referring to “White” and “Black” people (“‘Pink’ and ‘Brown’ is more like it! Why not say that?”). On one occasion, she confided in me that she felt it was exceptionally stupid for “prejudiced people” to compare Africans to apes because, after all, apes had thin lips like Europeans and also had skin that, under their very straight ape hair, was pale. I stared at her blankly, being all of about six or seven years old myself and not yet acquainted with any apes, but she gave me a triumphant look, as if she’d just solved a geometry proof, and said no more on the subject.

I remained innocent of the capacity for prejudice in myself or in my friends until I was a teenager in boarding school. (It’s amazing that any naïveté at all about one’s self survives high school.) My junior year, I befriended an introverted giant of a boy, a senior named Scott, who could have been typecast as a Viking. He had shaggy blonde hair, stood just shy of 6’4,” and had powerful arms. He was the kind of guy automatically recruited to be a linebacker for the football team, even though he didn't particularly care for football, wore thick glasses, was painfully shy, and always strode about campus in a hangdog attitude, staring at the ground.

We had a fondness for punk music and science fiction in common, otherwise not much, and yet we bonded. In addition to being a football player and a star wrestler, Scott was a townie and an art geek who was constantly sketching and who obsessively collected Marvel comic books. I was a disabled boarding student who couldn’t draw a straight line, knew next to nothing of Marvel comics beyond the Spider-Man and Wolverine characters, and whose own obsession was novels. I wanted to act in plays. Scott wanted never to have to see a play. 

What united us was really just loneliness and marginal status. From a schoolmaster's description, you might not think we were outcasts: he was a jock, the son and grandson of prominent alums; I was a goody-goody, a scholarship boy, a dorm prefect, an academic standout, and an occasional actor. But we were weird. We looked weird, especially as friends, the huge Viking and the little crip. Moreover, in some way that we couldn’t quite define to ourselves, we were cynical about enthusiasms other students took seriously and, no matter how involved we were in those officially important high-school sorts of activities, we didn’t fit in. So, we were friends.

About this time, one of the most popular seniors in my dorm was a jovial, roaring, good-looking Southerner named Jon who enjoyed sounding like Foghorn T. Leghorn, booming out “Boy!” this and “Yo, boy!” that. I never picked up on the fact that he only addressed fellow white boys in this manner, much less what it meant. I wasn't part of his circle. My only pals in the dorm that year were a literary-minded Chinese-American named David Yuan and a rich, ugly Venezuelan kid named Sam. (Sam had a Frida Kahlo unibrow. If we teased him, he would mutter, without apparent irony or humor, "Dafid! Mark! You are my berry, berry good friends. But now I'm go-eeng to haf to keel you." David and I would fall about laughing at this, Sam would frown as if trying to concentrate his magnificent eyebrow into a single exclamation point, and then our conversation, which was usually about music, would move on.) We didn’t hang out with either the cool White boys or the cool Black packs. So, I was ripe for stupidly walking into the middle of a nastiness I didn’t yet understand.

One Saturday night, I was hanging out in the dorm’s lobby, by myself, doing nothing that I can recall, probably reading a book. A senior named Dave, who was the most popular of the upperclass African-American guys in the dorm, swaggered by with a couple of his younger friends and teased me about something irrelevant. I tried being cool and jovial in my response, imitating the retort style of that very popular boy, Southern Jon. I don’t know what I said, exactly, but I do know that I tossed a “boy!” in somewhere in my witty reply. 

In a split second, my dormitory Tiny-Tim mascot status notwithstanding, Dave had grabbed me, literally, by the throat and was cursing me to my face. Before I could even get past the immediate shock, I heard a roar over my shoulder and Dave himself was being lifted into the air by Scott, who had just stopped by to say hi. There was more cursing and even some body slamming, thankfully on the other side of the lobby from me, and then our dorm master, Russell Witherspoon, popped his head out of his doorway down the hall to see what the hell was going on. A lean, dark-skinned Black man, nearly as tall as Scott, with a lilting baritone purr of a voice, 'Spoon had all the combatants separated in a second or two.

Afterward, in the sit-down interview with Mr. Witherspoon, I learned exactly what it meant for me to call a Black man "boy." I was shaken. I protested my innocence as well as my ignorance and cited popular Southern Jon’s bluff habit of calling people “boy,” but I apologized. Dave calmed down. Witherspoon excused us. Scott stalked home. 

That lesson about the danger of using "boy" was embarrassing but easy to absorb. It was like the time in fifth grade that I had gotten in trouble for a caricature. I had been doodling at my desk, trying to make something interesting-looking by drawing with a compass. I had gotten as far as a neat semicircle with a triangle on top, but I was stuck. The girl who shared my desk looked over at my drawing and hissed, “give it a face with slanty eyes.” I complied, then looked at her for further advice. Our fifth-grade teacher, Miss Storm had just been engaged to a man by the name of Eng. “Now, write ‘Mr. Eng’ on it and hide it on Miss Storm’s desk,” the girl giggled. Thinking that I was impressing my classmate, I did as she said. When Miss Storm found the drawing, she was visibly shaken and demanded to know who did it. I knew nothing yet of the coolie stereotype I'd just drawn, but I was ashamed and confessed. It was an embarrassing lesson in prejudice, but easily learned.

So should have been the lesson in high school, but it was the discovery in the wake of the “boy” incident that was harder to process. Giant Scott, my friend and my rescuer, my hero of sorts, couldn’t let it go. The next summer, after he’d already graduated and I’d gone to work as a camp counselor, I would get letters from him containing sketches of new superhero characters he'd invented and, uncomfortably, edgy rantings about “our Black friends.” At first, I tried to pretend Scott meant only Dave and his pals, that their blackness was incidental to his irritation with their behavior to me, but the queasy feeling in my gut kept indicating that my hero friend was probably a racist. Or, as I passed it off to myself then, my pal Scott was “very prejudiced.” 

I had another friend like that, the same year, and although he and Scott never met, in my mind now the two are lumped together. Jim was another outsider type, smart and sarcastic, but he lived in ‘Jersey, the oldest son of a church friend of my father’s. Jim was superficially unlike either Scott or me. He was pale, runty, and thin. He played the piano and composed meandering songs out of batches of chords as if he were tossing logs on the keyboard. His hobbies were camping, beer, and affecting a corncob pipe as if he were Huck Finn. He and I took canoeing trips together that summer. He was smart and creative, but it slowly dawned on me that Jim, like Scott, had a festering resentment within. He and I had both taken a couple of years of high school German. At first, it was an easy bonding routine, to exchange greetings and trivial conversations in our execrable Deutsch. We’d both been to see Apocalypse Now, and I thought it was merely funny when Jim strapped a cheap tape-deck to a strut of the canoe and played “Ride of the Valkyrie” one afternoon as we paddled down a quiet stream. But then he started asking me what I thought of an idea he had for a club he was calling “Viertel Reich,” and he asked me to help him work up a sketch for a modified swastika logo for it.

Feeling queasy again, I attempted a redirect. I told Jim that we should make it clear that this club of his was ironic and clever and mocking of anything like an actual fascination with the Nazis. I drew him a “swastika” that was composed of four question marks rotating clockwise, like a pinwheel, around a single period. Jim didn’t like it. We drifted apart pretty soon, and, except at his father's funeral, I never saw him again.

I stayed friends with Scott, however, at least through our correspondences, and I excused myself by carefully avoiding any direct reply whenever he asked me a leading question in a letter about how things were the next year in my dorm with "our Black friends." I visited him one time in Chicago, several years later, after he had graduated from an evangelical college and married into money. He and his bride were only twenty-three but owners of a lofty condo opposite the Lincoln Park Zoo. Scott was struggling to sell his drawings and lived off his wife's trust fund. We never mentioned race at dinner that night, I should say, not in any way. Outside their guest bedroom window in the wee morning, I could hear the eerie combination of sirens and lions roaring. That was the last time I visited them.

As for the Dave whom I'd insulted, incidentally, although he and I were never very friendly, and although I doubt he really believed that I hadn’t meant anything racist by addressing him as “boy” that evening that Scott had tackled him, he did do me the favor of introducing me to the music of George Clinton and P-Funk the next school year, and for that I remain grateful to him. His own best friend, Louis, who was there in the lobby the night we all scrapped, ended up at Princeton with me. Unlike me, Louis graduated. 

The past is a pond, pretty much like the one on my Grandma Wetherbe’s farm. It's pretty from a distance and it silts up over time. Plants shove in from all sides, if you don’t disturb it or dredge it, and the surface can paper over solidly with water lilies, as if it a were a grounded flowerbed. There’s plenty of muck at the bottom and clear water that will run, with some work, even then. These days, I think of boys like Scott and Jim and me whenever I read of some punk white kid who’s snuck off to join up with white supremacists or ISIS. There’s that dream of belonging to a unified, dangerous outsider’s club that haunts certain uncool young loners, always has and will. And, once caught in that dream, a prejudice, of whatever type, is body armor against the demons.

In the decades after high school, I never hesitated to tell people how my mother, her evangelical sectarianism aside, had raised me to see all others as equals and race as irrelevant. I told stories of her and of my multiracial siblings to my fellow grad students, then to my students at Utah, Alabama, and Morehouse. I still believe it was a good thing to have grown up singing, “all are precious in His sight," whatever the language I sang it in.

But there was a day in the late nineties, I forget exactly when, perhaps just after my father had died, just before the millenium, when my brother Jimmy and I were going through an old cardboard box of family snapshots that included a few early pictures of our parents as a couple, from before I was born. And there we found a Kodachrome square, blurry but still lurid, of Dad and Mom dressed up for a Halloween party, a few weeks after their wedding, in1961. What costume my father was wearing in the photo, I forget. I was too startled by my mother’s get-up to notice him. There she sat, smiling broadly, in a floral apron and with a red polka-dot bandanna knotted around her head, completely made up in blackface.

I never did talk to her about that. And now it's too late.

No comments:

Hope Chest

Sometimes I wonder how long it will be until you can read these letters easily. And then I wonder when, or if, you will f...